Sunday, February 25, 2007

Felt making again.

The Textiles course has start up again after the Half Term and I am back making felt once more. Firstly, I shall be continuing work on that scarf first seen here:

http://crazydaisytime.blogspot.com/2007/01/new-work.html




The current size of the scarf is 35 inches long by 10 inches wide. I plan to add free-machine embroidered lace and fringing to the ends to make the scarf of a useable length. Well, we shall see if it all works out.
The second project is, or rather will be, a three dimensional object. At present it looks like someone has driven over a doughnut.

The colours you are seeing are not quite right here - I have used red, orange, deep brown, mid yellows and a bright green. The size at present is just over 13 inches at the longest point and just over 9 inches across. It has been partly felted and is currently inside out. I have absolutely no idea what it will look like when it has been turned. There is a piece of plastic inside the felt to help keep the shape and to ensure that it remains hollow. It is probably because of the plastic that I cannot get a decent photograph of the reverse side.


Tomorrow I shall get to complete felting this and turn it inside out and shape the openings. I can hardly wait. I am hoping it will turn into some kind of bowl or vase shape............... It could easily turn into a major disaster. I am only partly joking here, since without Ruth's expert support I would not be attempting anything nearly so demanding.

Just in case you haven't seen my other posts about the Textiles Course, this is a course held as an Evening Course by the local Sixth Form College. Its open to anyone over the age of 16 and the Textiles Course is run by Ruth. There is no qualification at the end of this, just the practical experience gained in trying all sorts of new techniques. But then, that's exactly why I came to join.

There are all sorts of other courses being run during the week - Caligraphy, Flower-arranging, Computer studies, etc, etc. All the sports facillities are used for different courses too.

http://www.sjd.ac.uk/

The following link takes you to work I have previously completed during the Textiles Course - Paisley 1 and 2 were done on the course, whilst Paisley 3 was a project of my own at home which progressed alongside the others.

http://crazydaisytime.blogspot.com/2007/01/those-promised-photos.html

No comments: