Well, the Green Quilt has been completed and has been handed over to it's new owners.
I am very relieved to report that it was very well received. They really like it.
The photos of the full quilt were taken by my husband who found it really surprising just how difficult it is to photograph a quilt..... I did warn him.............
My photos of Simon and Liz with their new quilt give a truer idea of the colours.
Just to explain the story behind the quilt. Liz had asked me for a "Green Quilt". The four of us, my husband Ian was there too, had been enjoying a rather nice lunch at a small cafe in Macclesfield. That was back in mid September.
My imagination went into overdrive since the word "Green" has many different meanings. I decided to use a variety of these in the quilt rather than just provide a green-coloured quilt.
Using applique and as many different green fabrics as there were in my stash, I set off. There was no great plan, just a series of ideas linked to the theme of "Green". I decided not to post about it here since I wanted the project to remain secret for as long as possible.
Neither Simon nor Liz knew more about the quilt other than it was "being worked on"............ So it was a complete surprise when they unrolled it for the first time.
A double-sided quilt, the back is made up of different fat quarters I had collected over the years. It has been constructed as a quilt-as-you-go with each of the blocks being quilted before being assembled and linked together using narrow strips of green fabric. I did buy quite a lot of fabric to complete the quilt, but since most of this was for the flowery mock sashing and the thin strips used for the linking pieces, I felt this was appropriate even though I had planned to use only stashed fabrics. (Adding yet another meaning to the "Green" of the quilt's title.)
Each block is very simply quilted to keep the quilt puffy and cosy. The flowery sashing has been quilted using free-machine-embroidery using linked images of leaves and flowers.
Hope you like it too.