Monday, September 03, 2018

Challenges and other projects


Recent makes have included this double sided apron. This was a challenge from the recently formed Moulton Sewing Group. The main fabric and pattern were provided, each member of the group just had to make and decorate their aprons. This was mine. The side I consider the "front" is grey and has crows appliqued to the pockets and a label stating the name of the group. The second side is blue.


As you can see, the pockets have a black feather printed using one of my thermofax screens. The main label is exactly the same as that on the "front". I drew out the original design and then copied and printed them onto cotton before stitching them in place. The apron is the Artisan Apron by Janet Clare. It has a crossover back which means that once put on it does not shift position. Rather a useful design.



I eventually got around to altering the sleeves on my silk blouse found in a charity shop. This has now been washed and is waiting to be ironed ready to wear. I have kept the inner layer of the sleeve for now, and will decide later whether or not to cut this away. The original sleeve had a double layer which was impossible to iron. It obviously had been intended to be a puffy sleeve, but the construction meant this was impossible to achieve once the blouse was washed. I'm happier with this design, but may need to adapt the cuff still further since I am not certain whether it is going to be tight enough around my arm.


Another thing I am working on at the moment is a pair of cushion covers. The machine embroidered pieces were discarded by their owner at the Sewing Group last week since she had merely used the pieces as an experiment. I felt they were too nice to throw away, so claimed them and used furnishing fabric from my stash to turn them into these cushion covers. The Group will be having a stall at a Craft Fair in a couple of months time, so they should find a new home quite easily.


The first cover is almost finished. It just needs the cord applying around the edges. This second one is pinned ready to sew together. The piping around the images uses some silky lining fabric I had in my stash which happened to be a useful match. The thread, furnishing fabric and cords all came from my various stashes.

The cord I will use is slightly darker than the furnishing fabric, but has a gorgeous sheen which should look good when I finish applying it. This will be attached by hand. I just hope that the person who discarded these pieces likes them once I take them to the Sewing Group's next meeting on Wednesday.

As usual I am prevaricating. I really should be getting on with a pair of trousers which I cut out last week. A light blue denim, I really could do with getting these made since I am rather short of decent trousers. I really need to get on with making another toile for the fitting course I am doing. This one should be finished in time for my next meeting with Eilene. Then there is the challenge from MEG. I really need to get on with making a quilt block for our next meeting later this month. It is a traditional block and I know I am putting this off because I really don't fancy making a traditional quilt....... There are ideas beginning to form in my head turning this first block into a more contemporary style without changing the design. It will be interesting to see if I can make that work. I know I would feel happier if I can.

No comments: